Monday, August 10, 2009

Gongju - It's A City

Last Sunday, I took one final inter-Korean trip, to a city named Gongju. Gongju is the ancient capital of one of the three kingdoms that eventually formed modern-day Korea. It's host to a handful of interesting sites - namely, old Tombs of Royal Families, a fortress, and several Buddhist temples.

Much of what was originally there had been pillaged and destroyed a long time ago, but is still being rebuilt. What I found interesting about Gongju is that it's not really a touristic hotspot, so they haven't had the budget to really revamp their historical sites. I saw a few 'ancient buildings' still under construction.

It is, however, a very beautiful region. The fortress is in an impressive location that overlooks the city, and a nearby river. The Buddhist temple blends extremely well with nature. We saw (and crossed) a very awesome bridge, pictured to the right - something that'd probably be shut down as 'unsafe' in Canada.

Well, my final full-week of work is underway now - I'm sure it'll fly by without me noticing. I got to have a last goodbye lunch with my (always awesome) adult class, where they gave me a handful of gifts and gave me an awesome farewell - this week'll be full of those.


See you soon.

No comments: