Sunday, June 14, 2009

My Finger Hurts

Today, I experienced Korean-Baseball first hand - quite literally. I went to a LG Twins vs SK Wyverns game, and was (un)lucky enough for one of those rogue-balls to come my way.

In all the times i've been to a Baseball game in Ottawa, what with, oh, 1% of the audience present in Seoul, a ball-into-the-audience never came near me. This time around, my first time, a ball heads straight toward my head - I managed to block it, at the expense of a sprained finger, but that damn thing got away from me afterwards. haha.. What're the odds, really?

Baseball is a big deal over here. Korea has its own, exclusive league: the Korea Baseball Organization, which has a total of 8 teams. Three of those teams are based in Seoul, and one in Incheon. What I find a little strange (and cool, from a marketing standpoint) is that people refer to the teams not by the names, not by the city, but by the Corporate Sponsor.

We were in the LG Twins stadium, where the cheers always went 'LG! LG!'. Not once did I hear the word 'Twins'. I can't imagine North American leagues ever becoming like that, though - i'd have a hard time cheering 'MICROSOFT!', or 'SCOTIABANK!'.

Here's a video, to get a sense of the crowd.



Have a good one!

No comments: