Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The End's Beginning

June has rolled in, the playoffs are coming to an end, and Detroit is about to beat down the Penguins to take another cup. With that comes the beginning of a new Semester at GEC, where i'm once-again carrying a full-load of classes (and it's about time).

I held on to all of the previous classes I was teaching (4 beginner-level children's classes, and my two adult classes), and picked up two extra beginner kid groups, as well as two advanced groups. I haven't had a group of kids that I could really converse with in over 6 months, so i'm pretty happy about that.

The most frustrating thing for me, at times, is that when kids are misbehaving or fighting, I can't really do all that much. They can't express why they're angry, and I can't explain how i'll punish them - in those cases, I have to relegate the duty to my Korean co-teacher. In the advanced classes, there's something really great about saying 'You'll get an extra hour of homework if you're not quiet', and hear whimps of 'oh no!' before hearing silence.

Other than that, things are going well. On the exploration front, I was hoping to take a trip to the Demilitarized Zone sometime this spring, but it's looking less and less likely these days - you can guess why - so instead, i'm looking at the Korean sports scene. It'd be cool to catch a Baseball or Soccer game while i'm here (possibly this weekend).

Hope everything's well back at home!
Ciao!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pittsburgh isn't done just yet!