Sunday, March 1, 2009

Starting Up Again

With the arrival of March, my third full school-semester is about to start. This one, lasting from Monday until the end of May, will be a bit different than the first two. As i've come to expect now, i've been moved away from the Korean co-teacher I had from the previous session (which, if you include my first two weeks of teaching, means i've now gone through 3 different co-teachers).

We were previously told that the Korean/Foreign teacher tally for this semester would be reduced to 13/13 (down from 15/15, the two previous semesters). Unfortunately, it looks like it's actually going to be 12/13, with myself being the odd-man without a new co-teacher. That means i'll be paired with a member of management for all children's classes.

Luckily for me, though, that also means that they've seriously minimized the amount of children's classes i'll be teaching. I'm told to only expect to have two child-classes (down from 10, during each previous semester). It also means that they'll attempt to give me more adult classes, on top of the two that I currently teach. I really can't complain about that - I have to admit, teaching adults has been more fun than teaching kids (I suppose it makes the job easier when everyone's there wanting to listen to you).

The downside of it, though, is that i'm losing some classes that i've really enjoyed teaching. GEC offers special classes that range from grammar to journalism - the one I had last semester, Bookclub 4, was a real pleasure to have. Ironically, all 12 other remaining teachers will get to teach a Special class, meaning that when someone says, after a meeting, 'Okay, I need all Special teachers to stay', i'll be the only one to get up and leave.

Yep. I'm the only non-Special teacher.
Aw.

No comments: