Thursday, March 19, 2009

Rough Economic Times Indeed

The Global Financial crisis has meant the shutdown of some of Wondang's (our neighbourhood) most memorable businesses. The 'Komo Life Style shop' was the only one-stop destination where we could find the following items (with the spelling as-advertised):
-Shoes
-Womon Wear
-Kid (damn!~ I didn't get to take advantage of their bargain prices on children)
-Bath
-Fashin Belt
-Bag (Just one bag)
-Jewely
-Aroma

Clearly, this business went before its time.

It's been a fun week, overall. Monday was one of my (Korean Teacher) friend's birthday, so we began the week with a plate full of chicken, and a glass full of beer (is there a better way to start the week?). I'm starting to get a familiar 'happy vibe' with my new students, and it's making the few classes I have quite enjoyable. The experience-room (themed rooms that they visit once a week) we had this week was the 'Cooking' room. The two previous semesters, I can't say that my recipes turned out all that well (Pizza and Cookies), but I found myself in more familiar territory this week: Nachos.

All the kids had never seen, or heard of nachos. As soon as they saw all of the ingredients I was going to pile in there (tomatoes/mushrooms/peppers, to go with the obvious cheese/chips/salsa), some managed to express 'Teacher! Yuck!!'. It wasn't a combination they'd ever seen, and to them, it seemed horrible to mix all of these things together.

Kind of the same expression I had, when I first saw Corn and Potatoes on pizza.

Thankfully, nachos are some of the (few) things I know how to cook quite well. I'm happy to report that I received 100% positive reviews, ranging from 'Yummy!', to 'Teacher! It's Perfect!'.

Tomorrow, instead of Kindergarden-aged kids, we'll actually be hosting High Schoolers in the experience rooms. Should be quite an interesting end to the week! Hope you have a good one.

No comments: