Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Children's Day in Incheon

I took advantage of the mid-week day-off to explore a place I haven't seen very much of, in the last 8 months: Incheon. While I technically reside there, it's actually a shorter ride from GEC to go into Seoul, than it is to go into downtown Incheon. Because of the distance, and the seeming lack of attractions, I didn't make the trip 'til now.

Our first stop was Walmido, which is a popular attraction for families. It's a boardwalk with many restaurants, arcades, shooting ranges, and midway-rides on one side, and a good view of the Yellow Sea on the other.

Now, I knew that the Allies landed in Incheon in 1950, at the beginning of the Korean War, but I had no idea where. Neither do most of the Koreans that i'd asked. Randomly though, at the end of the boardwalk, I found this landmark:

Walmido, according to this landmark, was one of three landing-points for General MacArthur's landing. What struck me about it was that there's absolutely no indication, other than this fast-decaying sign, that an important part of Korean history took place here. It was dumb luck that I came upon it, but it was a pleasant surprise.

After we were done, we headed off to Incheon's China Town - which according to some Koreans i've spoken to, is better than Seoul's. It has quite a few restaurants, and many interesting shops. I had fried dumplings (quite good!) and black noodles, two of the more popular dishes on the menu.

A quick walk away from China Town was a park, with a lot of war-themed Statues and memorials. I found it very interesting... but since it's getting close to midnight over here, i'll hold off, and detail it a bit more later in the week.

Happy Children's Day!

No comments: