Monday, September 1, 2008

No, there ain't such thing as Labour Day

Unfortunately, my long weekend isn't coming for another two weeks (the Korean equivalent of thanksgiving).

I don't get Labour Day. Shouldn't a day named after Labour actually involve, you know, going to work? doing some labour? It's like naming a day 'Rest Day' and going to work. Anyway, instead of lazying around for one more day, I went to school.

I found out last Friday that I was going to be teaching Adult Classes, but I didn't have my full schedule until today. In total, i'm teaching 7 Classes Monday & Wednesday. While that's not exactly ideal, it does have a positive: since my contract says that i'll have 6 classes maximum, i'm getting guaranteed overtime pay two days a week (which is nice, since technically i'm still into work from the same hours). I also have 6 classes Tuesday-Thursday, so if I have to sub in that one, that's extra as well.

Hourrah!

The adult class I had this morning, though, was fun. Obviously, discipline's not an issue, as everyone's there to learn - So about half the class is bookwork, while the last half is just free conversation. For example, today I had each person (there are 10 people) introduce themselves, tell us a bit about themselves, and ask me a question about myself. They seemed a little surprised at my age (they're between 28 and 37), but were very respectful about it. My goal is to open a good dialogue - if they're looking forward to discussing something with me (in English), they're looking forward to learning.

Education is best enjoyed when served fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not everyone slacked on labour day. I put in my eight hours whilst thinking of you. When are you making the adults read Orwell?


ps: word verification will be the end of me.

Alex Pigeon said...

Today, my adults learned 'Hi', 'Hello' and 'How are you?'; which should make it fairly clear that Orwell is next week (it's the next logical step)