Friday, September 5, 2008

The Colonel ain't Breakdancing

It's been an eventful few days. Continuing our adventure where we left off, lets break down the happenings by days:

Tuesday, I found out that I had the same load of classes as I do on monday (7 classes). Since the Monday-Wednesday and Tuesday-Thursday schedule is the same, it means that i've got a guaranteed hour's pay of overtime 4 days a week. I'm thankful for the extra money; it should go a long towards paying for some long-awaited trips.

In the evening, I went to a restaurant i'd never been to before. It's of the take-of-your-shoes and sit-on-your-bum variety, which was fine by me. I ended up sharing a meal with 4 teachers. Essentially, a giant bowl is brought out (we had picked a seafood soup), which then boils in front of you. Tons of variety in the bowl as well, ranging from crab, shrimp, scallops, octopus and fish paste. It was very good, but very, very spicy. To the point where 75% of the people eating this soup were sweating (excluding the Korean teacher of course).

Wednesday was great. After school, about 6 or 7 of us went to a different restaurant. Myself and Aaron, another teacher, ordered some Cheesy Eggrolls. The eggrolls are really, really excellent for a simple reason: They're actual eggrolls. You know those things we call eggrolls in North America? Their name doesn't make sense. Fancy this: An eggroll here will actually be about 5 or 6 eggs all rolled around one another - ours having cheese in the middle.

I didn't have my camera, but i'll make sure to take a picture of it next time.

After this, we went to a bar called Jack's. It's a small, underpopulated bar that seems to target a more luxury-crowd than most bars. There's a pool table (free!) and an electronic Dart game that costs 1$. And if you get 500 points or more, you get free tequilla shots. (Of course, I could only manage to get 455 points.)

Now, most people would call it a night at this point, but a few other teachers decided that it was about time to show the noobies noraebang... the most popular format of Karaoke in Korea! It's essentially a private singing room for a group of people. Inside, you have a couple of restaurant-style benches with a table, along with three TVs. The TVs show the lyrics to the song, along with some really, really weird Korean drama in the background. I was told that it picks a video based on the lyrics and rythm of the song, but altogether, it was pretty random. I really enjoy Karaoke, so this was the highlight of my week. The great thing about noraebang is that you're not stuck waiting for a rotation of people before you're up to sing. Everyone can sing at once, or one can go at a time. Who can complain?!

Thursday night, a group of us went to the Western Dome in Ilsan. The Alex-Blog-Devotees will remember (yea right) that this is where I went to eat, my first night in Korea. I was dissapointed the first time that I hadn't brought my Camera, so I didn't make that mistake again. The western dome is a really cool outdoor/indoor mall, with several fountains outside. It also has quite a few excellent restaurants. We went back to the Thai restaurant, and this time around I had some Thai Green Curry - spicy, but excellent.

Oh, and on my way out, I ran into Colonel Sanders.

Finally, today. Today being Friday, I thought it would make perfect sense to finally have a night-in, relax, and do some laundry. I really didn't have the energy to go out again, but it's for the best, since i'm working tomorrow. It's an extra-gig through the school, for which i'll get about 200$. Hip Hip, Hourrah.

Happy weekend, kids.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the excellent blogging Alex, it's fun to follow your escapades!

Alex Pigeon said...

thanks Steve!

Anonymous said...

loving the chavez look, bro.