Thursday, January 22, 2009

Happy Lunar New Year

All Korean teachers at GEC were fortunate enough to be granted an extra day-off tomorrow, to prepare for the biggest holiday of the year: The Lunar New Year. As much as Christmas was 'not a big deal' in Korea, the Lunar New Year is just as much of a 'meh' holiday in the West - although extremely significant here. People are heading home now, although the official holiday is celebrated Monday and Tuesday.

Kids are looking forward to it, since they (i've been told) stand to make some very decent cash. Tradition has it that younger generations must bow down to their elders (and I mean, down on the floor - borderline groveling) - but in return, the elder generations have to give them money. The youth stands to make as much as 300$, by bowing to each member of his family that's an elder to them.

Being one of the younger people on staff, someone offered me 10$ if I would bow down to them. Suffice it to say, it's not a picture you'll see tagged on Facebook anytime soon - I ain't that cheap. Now, had they offered 15$? Hmm.

For the second time since i've been here, the company that owns the school (Woognjin) gave the gift of Red Ginseng to all its Foreign teachers, as a New Year's gift. Ginseng is one of those traditional Asian health-roots, that's supposed to be very good for the health. The stuff is also incredibly pricey - the Gift Set each Foreign Teacher received (12 Boxes, with 6 Sacks of Ginseng each), is apparently worth over 200$.

It's a very nice touch on their part, although I could've really used a new mattress. Eh well.

Happy end-'o-the-week!

4 comments:

émilie pense said...

alex! did you get the card I sent you? I think my spelling of "Incheon" may have been questionable...
xoxoxox

BIG SISTER EM

Alex Pigeon said...

Hmm, no, I didn't. Apparently, mail's been having some pretty poor luck when it comes to reaching me, lately.

Alex Pigeon said...

Never mind that - I received the letter today. Thanks for sending it - it's nice to have something to remember Grand-Maman by.

émilie pense said...

yayay!! I'm glad it made it. Tante Mimi gave me a bunch of cards and I said I'd mail you one. I'm happy it isn't lost in some random place in asia.