Sunday, November 2, 2008

Fall Back? No, no.

Daylight savings-time is not something that Korea is familiar with. As such, instead of the 13-hour time difference i've growned accustomed to, as of today, the difference is 14 hours. What does that mean for you? Well, not much. Except that now, in the mandatory 6-time-a-day timeslots where you ask yourself 'I wonder what Alex is doing now', when you glance at your watch, you adjust the math by one hour.

Aside from that - it's been a good weekend. I went to Itaewon last night, a very, very heavily 'Foreignized' part of Seoul (one of the reasons being its proximity to the US Army bases). I went to a bar called 'The Loft', for a friend's Birthday party (Kelly, who I used to work with at Midway in Ottawa). Entry was 5$, but included a free drink coupon; Ladies also drank free (damn sexism). But after friday night, I wasn't in shape to do any kind of heavy drinking, anyway.

The ratio of foreigners was incredibly high - the highest i've seen since i've gotten here - with about 3 out of 4 people being non-Korean.

There were still, apparently, quite a few Halloween parties going on, although the majority of the people partaking in them were foreign. I saw quite a few awesome costumes, that seemed to make the ever-conservative Koreans giggle at their sight - including this picture, of a man dressed as a middle-aged Korean Hiking Woman. The curly black hair, suncap, mask, gloves, and pink vest are all things that i've grown accustomed to seeing, but it took a Halloween costume to really nail how different the outfits really are.

Anyhoo, looking to the week ahead: I hear there's some sort of election going on. I'm looking forward to talking with some of my adult-students to get their view of the whole affair. I notice that the Sens have resigned Alfredsson (woooooo!), so I can finally stop wishing for a new contract every night, before going to bed. I'll now tackle the #2 priority that this world should be concerned about; Global Warming.

Have a good one.

No comments: